Home Makeover: Volunteers to Transform Homes of People Living With MS | Community Spirit
A Statement Released by National MS Society Upstate NY Chapter
North Tonawanda, NY-- MS Service Day (Saturday, June 9) has teams of volunteers going into the homes of folks living with MS and doing household improvements those people may no longer be able to complete because of the progression of their disease. Multiple sclerosis, a chronic and often disabling disease of the central nervous system, affects more than 12,400 people in the area covered by the Upstate New York Chapter of the National MS Society.
In 18 Upstate New York communities this Saturday, including North Tonawanda and Kenmore, nearly 200 volunteers are going into 37 homes to perform household chores and repair work – tasks like mowing the lawn, shampooing carpets, organizing, landscaping, painting, or fixing a broken door. They will be helping people with MS improve their home and quality of life.
MS Service Day is both a program and fundraiser of the Upstate NY Chapter. The goal is to raise $10,000 through corporate sponsorships, and funds not used for MS Service Day will be put into the MS Independence Fund to pay for home maintenance and modifications throughout the year.
Upcoming Events near Tonawandas
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Air Base Supporters Have Influential Advocate
- A high-speed police chase through the streets of Niagara Falls early Sunday morning ended in a fatal crash for the driver of the pursued vehicle.
- Police Investigate Death In Lockport
- ORLEANS/NIAGARA BOCES EARNS NATIONAL TOP HONORS IN 2014 MAGNA AWARDS
- Cause of Water Line Break Found