Home Makeover: Volunteers to Transform Homes of People Living With MS | Community Spirit
A Statement Released by National MS Society Upstate NY Chapter
North Tonawanda, NY-- MS Service Day (Saturday, June 9) has teams of volunteers going into the homes of folks living with MS and doing household improvements those people may no longer be able to complete because of the progression of their disease. Multiple sclerosis, a chronic and often disabling disease of the central nervous system, affects more than 12,400 people in the area covered by the Upstate New York Chapter of the National MS Society.
In 18 Upstate New York communities this Saturday, including North Tonawanda and Kenmore, nearly 200 volunteers are going into 37 homes to perform household chores and repair work – tasks like mowing the lawn, shampooing carpets, organizing, landscaping, painting, or fixing a broken door. They will be helping people with MS improve their home and quality of life.
MS Service Day is both a program and fundraiser of the Upstate NY Chapter. The goal is to raise $10,000 through corporate sponsorships, and funds not used for MS Service Day will be put into the MS Independence Fund to pay for home maintenance and modifications throughout the year.
Upcoming Events near Tonawandas
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- AT&T Announces More Than 150 Jobs Available in New York
- Niland Named Daemen’s Athletics Director
- Daemen Receives National Distinction As a ‘Great College to Work For’
- India’s Ambassador Mulay to Present Lecture at Daemen
- Free Concert, Scottish Festival Among August Highlights at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- The Battle of Scajaquada Creek Bridge Commemoration August 3
- Drums Along the Waterfront to Offer Free Shuttle Bus Service
- Seven Local High Schools to Host Drums Along the Waterfront Corps
- Italian Festival starts Thursday on Hertel Avenue
- The Pasta Peddler, Blackbird Sweets to Occupy Larger Hertel Avenue Location