Body Recovered from Erie Canal Identified | News
NORTH TONAWANDA, NY - First responders in North Tonawanda have recovered the body of a man who jumped into the Erie Canal Sunday night.
A City of North Tonawanda Fire Department official told 2 On Your Side their department found Jeffrey Banks of Niagara Falls late Sunday night.
Witnesses said they saw a man jump into the water to swim with friends. He went under the water and never returned to the surface.
Emergency crews and dive teams began their search around 8 p.m.
We're told that police officials will release more information later this morning.
Upcoming Events near Tonawandas
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Air Base Supporters Have Influential Advocate
- A high-speed police chase through the streets of Niagara Falls early Sunday morning ended in a fatal crash for the driver of the pursued vehicle.
- Police Investigate Death In Lockport
- ORLEANS/NIAGARA BOCES EARNS NATIONAL TOP HONORS IN 2014 MAGNA AWARDS
- Cause of Water Line Break Found