von Trapp Children Performing in WNY | News
NORTH TONAWANDA, NY- There's a special concert at the Riviera Theater in North Tonawanda this weekend to help celebrate its 85th anniversary. The von Trapp children, descendants of the real singing family from "The Sound of Music" are performing there, and their famous family has a very special connection to Western New York.
The 1965 Blockbuster "The Sound of Music" is a movie that's transcended time. It's music beloved by generations. And now, nearly 50 years later, a new generation of von Trapp children are inspiring audiences around the world.
Sofie, Melanie, Amanda and Justin are the great-grandchildren of the real Captain Georg von Trapp.
"It's an honor for us to be able to carry on the tradition that our great grandparents and our grandparents started," said Melanie von Trapp.
Western New York has a special place in the hearts of these children. Everyone knows from the movie the Von Trapp family fled the Nazi regime in Austria. What you might not know, is that instead of entering the United States through Ellis Island, Maria Von Trapp entered through Niagara Falls. Her certificate of arrival is dated December 30, 1942. On the 70th anniversary of Maria's arrival into this country, the children will be singing here.
The von Trapp Family concert at the Riveria Theater in North Tonawanda is part of the theater's 85th Anniversary celebration.
"It's almost an aura when you walk in. The red velvet, the beautiful chandelier, the stage. And you can feel the history and the love that's in this theater," said Barb Dietrich, Director of Marketing for the Riviera Theater.
Through modern hits and classics, the Von Trapp children are carrying on their family's legacy and at the same time creating their own.
Performances are Saturday and Sunday at 2 p.m. Tickets are available here.
Upcoming Events near Tonawandas
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Daemen Receives National Distinction As a ‘Great College to Work For’
- India’s Ambassador Mulay to Present Lecture at Daemen
- Free Concert, Scottish Festival Among August Highlights at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- Deer Rescued from Glen Falls in Williamsville
- Daemen Approved for Advancement in NCAA Membership Process
- Outdoor Entertainment to Continue through August at Seneca Niagara Casino & Hotel
- State firefighters honor Newfane volunteer
- Pilot in Niagara County plane crash dies
- Niagara County Residents Speak Out Against Landfill Expansion
- Legendary Latin Rock Band Santana to Perform at Seneca Niagara Events Center on October 11
- Drums Along the Waterfront to Offer Free Shuttle Bus Service
- Seven Local High Schools to Host Drums Along the Waterfront Corps
- Italian Festival starts Thursday on Hertel Avenue
- The Pasta Peddler, Blackbird Sweets to Occupy Larger Hertel Avenue Location
- Drums Along the Waterfront Tour of Champions Event Announces Venue Change