Smoke Forces Grand Island Family from Home | News
GRAND ISLAND, NY - A family of four escaped a potentially dangerous situation Thursday morning because of their working smoke detectors.
Grand Island Fire Chief Kevin Koch tells 2 On Your Side's Jim Herr that a fire sparked within a laundry basket in the basement of a Grand Island Boulevard home just after 1:30 a.m.
Mom, dad, and their two teenage children were awoken by the home's smoke detectors and were able to get out of the home okay.
They are staying at another home this morning.
Koch says that it appears that the fire was started by the careless disposal of a smoking material.
One firefighter was checked out at the scene for exhaustion, but is said to be okay.
Damages from the fire are estimated to be around $10,000.
Upcoming Events near Tonawandas
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- FLAMES ACROSS NIAGARA Bonfire commemorating the burning of Black Rock & Buffalo 200 years ago
- Nichols School students sign letters of intent to play Division I and II sports
- GIFTS OF ART for the HOLIDAYS opening at Artsphere Studio & Gallery
- Senator Mark Grisanti Receives ‘Boys And Girls Town of Italy’ Man Of The Year Award
- Senator Grisanti Named ‘Men Moving Forward’ Award Recipient