Smoke Forces Grand Island Family from Home | News
GRAND ISLAND, NY - A family of four escaped a potentially dangerous situation Thursday morning because of their working smoke detectors.
Grand Island Fire Chief Kevin Koch tells 2 On Your Side's Jim Herr that a fire sparked within a laundry basket in the basement of a Grand Island Boulevard home just after 1:30 a.m.
Mom, dad, and their two teenage children were awoken by the home's smoke detectors and were able to get out of the home okay.
They are staying at another home this morning.
Koch says that it appears that the fire was started by the careless disposal of a smoking material.
One firefighter was checked out at the scene for exhaustion, but is said to be okay.
Damages from the fire are estimated to be around $10,000.
Upcoming Events near Tonawandas
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Buffalo’s Economic Resurgence Focus of Mayor’s Daemen Lecture
- Cartagena guilty of other charges in death of daughter
- Quilt Seminar, 5K Run Headline September Events at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- Daemen Grant to Establish Fitness Program for Individuals With Disabilities, Educate Trainers
- Daemen Associate Athletic Director Named to 30 Under Thirty