NY Gov Andrew Cuomo announces limited State of Emergency | News
New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo announced he is placing parts of the Empire State into a State of Emergency before a “Severe Winter Storm” that the State has been preparing for over several days hits.
By declaring a State of Emergency this “allows local governments and the State more flexibility in dealing with the situation.” The Governor made a strong point that “We have been through worse.” He continued to make the point that this event is not the same as Super storm Sandy.
Governor Cuomo has stated that he has communicated with local politicians. T he storm is set to hit New York City Metro, Long Island and Suffolk the hardest.
“As this winter storm unfolds, bringing heavy snow and high winds to parts of the state, I strongly urge all New Yorkers to exercise caution, avoid travel, and stay indoors,” Governor Cuomo said. “To ensure an effective and rapid response to this winter storm, I am declaring a state of emergency for counties in the lower Hudson Valley, New York City, and Long Island so resources can get to communities where they are needed as quickly as possible.”
- · 2,300 Flights Have been canceled
- · Local Buses (MTA in NYC will continue to operate for now) as per Mr. Pendergrast of the
- · Local Rail may be disrupted near 8pm for snow removal from Tracks
- · 3,000 people have been effected by Power Outages
- · JFK Closing at 6PM
- · Only Essential Travel in NYC may be declared after 8 pm
The Governor was flanked by New York City Metropolitan Transit Authority Chief Pendergrast whom stated that at approx. 8PM this evening when “10 to 13 inches of snow” are expected there will be a call for essential transportation only at that time.
Sources: Live Feed of Press Conference: http://livestre.am/4kCKD
Press Release: http://www.governor.ny.gov/press/02082013State-of-Emergency
Upcoming Events near Tonawandas
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Tickets for 3rd Annual Wine & Beer Fest at Kenan Center On Sale
- Plans to Improve Niagara Falls Unveiled Tonight
- NIAGARA ACADEMY STUDENTS REACH OUT TO AREA VETERANS TO CELEBRATE HOLIDAYS
- Local Pastor Hopes to Share His Inspirational Message Across WNY
- Award-winning Singer Bringing Christmas Show to Nearby London
- FLAMES ACROSS NIAGARA Bonfire commemorating the burning of Black Rock & Buffalo 200 years ago
- Nichols School students sign letters of intent to play Division I and II sports
- GIFTS OF ART for the HOLIDAYS opening at Artsphere Studio & Gallery
- Senator Mark Grisanti Receives ‘Boys And Girls Town of Italy’ Man Of The Year Award
- Senator Grisanti Named ‘Men Moving Forward’ Award Recipient