Good Story Challenge: Three Generous Sisters | News
TOWN OF TONAWANDA, NY - For the past 20 days, we've brought you some inspiring stories of people doing incredible things in our communities. And we're not stopping there.
This morning, a story of three generous young girls who did something most kids wouldn't even think of doing.
We received a tip from a Facebook friend who wanted us to know about a post from Open Arms Rescue of Western New York in Akron.
The animal welfare group wanted to thank three young girls; Ava, Bella and Layah Campolo, for a big donation.
The girls' aunt works for the shelter and their mom says they're always looking for ways to help the community. So they decided that instead of birthday gifts, they would ask their friends for donations this year. And they gave half of those donations to Open Arms and the other half to the SPCA.
"We heard about puppy mills for the dogs and found out how cruel it was," says 9-year-old Bella.
"We saw how badly they were treated and we felt really bad so we wanted to help stop it," says 10-year-old Layah.
"Well, of course I was extremely proud," says their mom, Kasia. "It kind of brought tears to my eyes, and then we did a little bit of investigating of how to go about doing that. It really has turned into a beautiful thing."
The girls raised $460 this year for the two shelters.
And Layah says she's planning on doing it again next year.
Upcoming Events near Tonawandas
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- NIAGARA ACADEMY STUDENTS REACH OUT TO AREA VETERANS TO CELEBRATE HOLIDAYS
- Local Pastor Hopes to Share His Inspirational Message Across WNY
- Award-winning Singer Bringing Christmas Show to Nearby London
- O/N BOCES Skillsusa Members Make Holidays Brighter For Vets
- Catholic Medical Partners Honored for Leadership in Health Information Technology
- FLAMES ACROSS NIAGARA Bonfire commemorating the burning of Black Rock & Buffalo 200 years ago
- Nichols School students sign letters of intent to play Division I and II sports
- GIFTS OF ART for the HOLIDAYS opening at Artsphere Studio & Gallery
- Senator Mark Grisanti Receives ‘Boys And Girls Town of Italy’ Man Of The Year Award
- Senator Grisanti Named ‘Men Moving Forward’ Award Recipient