Good Story Challenge: Three Generous Sisters | News
TOWN OF TONAWANDA, NY - For the past 20 days, we've brought you some inspiring stories of people doing incredible things in our communities. And we're not stopping there.
This morning, a story of three generous young girls who did something most kids wouldn't even think of doing.
We received a tip from a Facebook friend who wanted us to know about a post from Open Arms Rescue of Western New York in Akron.
The animal welfare group wanted to thank three young girls; Ava, Bella and Layah Campolo, for a big donation.
The girls' aunt works for the shelter and their mom says they're always looking for ways to help the community. So they decided that instead of birthday gifts, they would ask their friends for donations this year. And they gave half of those donations to Open Arms and the other half to the SPCA.
"We heard about puppy mills for the dogs and found out how cruel it was," says 9-year-old Bella.
"We saw how badly they were treated and we felt really bad so we wanted to help stop it," says 10-year-old Layah.
"Well, of course I was extremely proud," says their mom, Kasia. "It kind of brought tears to my eyes, and then we did a little bit of investigating of how to go about doing that. It really has turned into a beautiful thing."
The girls raised $460 this year for the two shelters.
And Layah says she's planning on doing it again next year.
Upcoming Events near Tonawandas
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- AT&T Announces More Than 150 Jobs Available in New York
- Niland Named Daemen’s Athletics Director
- Daemen Receives National Distinction As a ‘Great College to Work For’
- India’s Ambassador Mulay to Present Lecture at Daemen
- Free Concert, Scottish Festival Among August Highlights at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- The Battle of Scajaquada Creek Bridge Commemoration August 3
- Drums Along the Waterfront to Offer Free Shuttle Bus Service
- Seven Local High Schools to Host Drums Along the Waterfront Corps
- Italian Festival starts Thursday on Hertel Avenue
- The Pasta Peddler, Blackbird Sweets to Occupy Larger Hertel Avenue Location