New York State STAR Exemption - Registration Required | Politics
ALBANY, NY - New York State Department of taxation and Finance has announced a new initiative that changes the way homeowners apply for the basic STAR Tax Exemption. The Tax Department as of August 26th, 2013 and confirmed by the department in a written statement, has mailed out 550,000 STAR registration letters to Homeowners in 17 Western Region Counties. These counties include; Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Chemung, Erie, Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Niagara, Ontario, Orleans, Schuyler, Seneca, Steuben, Wayne, Wyoming and Yates. Including this most recent mailing, the total outreach is 2.6 million homeowners.
The reason for this massive outreach is due to changes within the program to encourage registration at the tax Department’s website, by homeowners that want to be part of the program. The registration facilitates Governor Cuomo's 2013-14 Budget initiative to save New York taxpayers millions by eliminating inappropriate STAR property tax exemptions. Homeowners have until December 31, 2013 to register; by telephone or online.
According to a news release by the new York State Department of taxation; “The STAR exemption is only available on a homeowner's primary residence - though an investigation by the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance showed some homeowners were claiming the exemption on more than one property.”
"When you receive your letter- don't delay," Commissioner Thomas H. Mattox said. "The registration is fast, secure and easy and means you can continue to receive the hundreds of dollars in Basic STAR savings each year."
The STAR exemption is available for owner-occupied, primary residences where the combined income of resident owners and their spouses is $500,000 or less. Married couples with multiple residences are only eligible to receive one STAR exemption, according to a news release.
STAR Registration applies to Basic STAR exemptions for 2014 and beyond; it doesn't impact 2013 exemptions. Homeowners will not have to re-register every year - based on the information provided in the registration process, the Tax Department will monitor homeowners' eligibility in future years.
It is unknown if the letters are available in brail, or in languages other than English, these items are not mentioned on the website or in statements. There is a poster that appears to be in multiple languages, as does the website, http://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/star13/, According to census information, nearly 30 percent of New Yorkers are more comfortable speaking a language other than English, when not required to speak English. This information was gathered during the Census as part of the American Community Survey (ACS). Senior Citizens receiving Enhanced STAR are not required to reister, as per the video and website.
Easy Registration Online or by Phone
The Tax Department will mail letters to all 2.6 million Basic STAR recipients by early October. The letter includes registration instructions for the Department's easy, fast, and secure online application. It also provides homeowners with a telephone number for registration or questions - 518-457-2036.
For more information
- Register online at www.tax.ny.gov (http://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/star13/ )
- Call 518-457-2036 to register by phone or to speak to a representative
- Call center will be open Labor Day from 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Online demo
- Census: http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/36/3611000.html
Registration started on August 19, 2013 and will continue through December 31, 2013.
Upcoming Events near Tonawandas
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- AT&T Announces More Than 150 Jobs Available in New York
- Niland Named Daemen’s Athletics Director
- Daemen Receives National Distinction As a ‘Great College to Work For’
- India’s Ambassador Mulay to Present Lecture at Daemen
- Free Concert, Scottish Festival Among August Highlights at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- The Battle of Scajaquada Creek Bridge Commemoration August 3
- Drums Along the Waterfront to Offer Free Shuttle Bus Service
- Seven Local High Schools to Host Drums Along the Waterfront Corps
- Italian Festival starts Thursday on Hertel Avenue
- The Pasta Peddler, Blackbird Sweets to Occupy Larger Hertel Avenue Location